Monday, June 20, 2011

Learning My Way Around


 I'm no stranger to the West. After all I'm Texas Born, Texas Proud, and spent about 25 years of my life in the Lone Star State. My parents relocated to Oklahoma after I got married & I love going to Claremore to visit. Out here it's a bit different. Maybe because it's so remote and there are not many people. There are probably more people in jail in West Tennessee than live in the state of Wyoming. People are really friendly here and they are proud of their town. When folks learn that I'm not from around here (as soon as I open my mouth!) they give me a warm 'welcome to Sheridan', or 'welcome to Story'.

As I've been learning my way around (found the Walmart right away) I've noticed the names on businesses are a bit different too. There are the usual Soandso & Sons or Whatever Bros. But sprinkled in amongst them are some real gems. Need to get your hair done? The 'Curl Up & Dye' is right on Main Street. Need a place to stay? How about the 'Come On Inn'. Are the in-laws coming to visit and you need to rent a port-a-potty? Call 'Squatters'. The plumber that is meeting us in Story Friday works for 'Rub-a-Dub Tub'. Want some local honey? 'Stingers' is right there on the shelf. My favorite is 'Crazy Woman'...looks like Jim brought me to the right place!

Main Street looks much the same today.






















No comments: